Monday, August 27, 2018

The Journey Begins...

This is my first blog.

This is my first blog post.

This is my first blog post in my first blog... I can only sit here and wonder where it will go from here. Will one person read this (who isn't forced to by the guilt of their own conscience when I ask them to)? Who knows? But one thing is for sure, it's worth it just to begin... so here we (I?) go!

I decided to start writing this blog for several reasons - to get better at writing, to express myself in a more useful way, to hopefully inspire a few of my friends to follow along (Evan Brooks). But in the end, I think it is just better to create than not to create, and that's really the essence of what this blog is all about - creation!

Lemme 'splain. You may have taken notice of the title - Wedding Soup. Aside from being Italian and delicious, it's also a conglomeration of leftovers, scraps, bits, and pieces of other things, thrown together into one cohesive dish. That's what I will be attempting here. I will essentially be talking about anything and everything that interests me!

We are at a time of great misunderstandings and gross neglect of the truth. The truth is out there, so let's go and find it together, instead of being at each other's throats. So with that in mind, I want to help bridge some divides, or at least demonstrate that we can have vast disagreements on what we believe in, but if we are true to what we all confess, which is that we are compassionate, then we must start by being compassionate to everyone that we see. Hopefully, I will be able to follow through on that priority.

I want to encourage people to post their opinions on this blog, but I don't want it to turn into a typical social media thread. I will not be replying directly to any comments left here unless it is requested of me specifically. I will take into consideration what is being said and incorporate these thoughts into future posts maybe, but I am not going to be attempting to defend what I post in the comments section. I think this will help encourage people to say what they want to say and not worry about me, or anyone else I hope, from trying to minimize what they say. Instead, I hope that we end up with several differing viewpoints for all to consider together.

The world can be a wonderful place, if you let it. there is so much to marvel at. But our perspective and our thinking can greatly disrupt our ability to enjoy the life that we have. We only get one chance to live this life. I know I have wasted so much of mine, but being in the present and contemplating what possible futures await keep me from ruminating over what I can never rectify. Creating is also a vital part of how we reach our true potential. We can do great things if we are united and I believe, despite the current environment, that we are truly more united than we think we are.

I am excited to be starting this journey and I hope that I can encourage a few of you to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In a World of Identity Politics, Priorities Matter

It seems like there are many people out there who want us to break each other down into little bite-sized pieces, disassemble one another, ...